This page is basically a list of where to find any published Errata that I know of for my favourite Baking books. It is probably going to be a work in progress sort of page, so please if you alter your recipes in your books bear in mind the following:
- These errata are not written by me but either by the authors or their publishers
- You may have an edition in which the errors have all been corrected
If you find the links don’t work, do let me know. For reasons to do with copyright I do not intend to publish any of these errata on my blog. I recommend therefore that you download the pdfs to your own computer if you need to refer to them.
Errors don’t help, particularly when you are learning and totally reliant on the recipe in the book. I can well understand that it is extraordinarily hard to produce perfect recipes, the opportunities for errors to creep in are legion, especially with modern word-processing and the endemic use of cut and paste. Felicity Cloake wrote a Guardian column about it called Cookbook errors: recipes for disasters.
However, a beginner can’t say, ‘hey, steady on, that water can’t be enough for that amount of flour….or that’s way too hot or way too long to prove that loaf”
A beginner just does what it says in the book and it is hard enough to learn to bake purely from a book without having the added gremlin of printing errors and proofing oversights.
One of the few advantages a blogger has over a print author is that they can sneak back onto their blogs and correct errors when they are pointed out to them; a published author doesn’t have that luxury until and if their publisher decides to do another print run and in the meantime, old copies of their books are in libraries and book stores and so on. I have every sympathy with them and hopefully this is seen as a positive thought to print these links here.
If you know of any published authorized errata for baking books which would be helpful to share with everyone who loves to bake please leave a comment on this post indicating where they are to be found. Click on the relevant links to go to where the Errata are published.
- Bread by Jeffrey Hamelman → Errata (Feb 2011) . published originally on Mellow Bakers in this section of the forum with permission and help from the author. There may be other errata picked up on by the current group of Mellow Bakers. Have a look on that forum here.
- Note: there is a new edition of Bread by Jeffrey Hamelman published October 2012
- How to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou → Errata (April 2012) published on Farine’s blog with permission and help from the author.
- Local Breads by Dan Leader → Errata published here on his Bread Alone site (coincidentally someone responded to a review I wrote on Amazon of this book a few years ago saying how helpful it was to have a review on there which led them to the errata for the book – maybe it is something that authors should add to their publication pages on Amazon?? )
- The Hummingbird Bakery Book → Errata and other helpful tips!
- Inside the Jewish Bakery by Stan Ginsberg and Norman Berg Errata