Chicken Giblet Bread Sticks or Motivational Aids
Just a quickie from she who panders to poodles…..
- Simmer chicken giblets, (the ones you weren’t expecting to find tucked inside your organic chicken) in half a pint of water while poaching your chicken in big pan for soup. Reserve the stock for a gravy and another meal.
- Find saucepan with giblets on stove the following day. Whoops! Strip meat from neck, puree liver, heart and neck meat in useful small kitchen gadget thing
- Add one egg
- Mix in 4 tablespoons of runny yoghurt
- a pinch of salt
- enough bread flour to make a dough suitable for rolling out, about the consistency of pizza dough.
- Roll out dough to a 1/4 inch thickness in a rectangle
- Cut into very thin strips with a pizza wheel
- Place on a baking sheet
- Bake at 170 C for about 20 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave the trays in the oven for another 15 minutes
and there you have chicken giblet bread sticks
Preparation time : 10 minutes (not including the original giblet cooking time)
Cooking time : 20 minutes (plus 15 minutes oven off time cooling)
Cost per dog treat: less than a penny a stick, maybe two a penny. Compare that to the rubbish they sell for completely outrageous prices in the doggy superstores.
And the dogs love them and will do almost anything for them, apart from clean the house, pick up their toys, answer the door, draft blog posts…
See also Sourdough dog biscuits – they don’t get homebaked treats that often!
And a random and unconnected extra – thanks to my sister and Claude who found it on YouTube! Well loosely connected in that it has animals and stuff being used up in it…