I am copying and pasting this here into a blog post in case any of you are trying to save home grown vegetable seeds and to get the knowledge out there in my own small way. My bean seeds are still being artistic on the window sill, but I am now going to go and heat up some rice and try and dry them out properly!
I didn’t know this and it makes a lot of sense. Thank you The Real Seed Catalogue for making this document available to share. I bought some of their seed last year and I like their ethos very much, encouraging their customers to save and share their own seed. Their seed is pretty good too!
Now to read the new catalogue and dream about what to grow next year ! I am eying up Pink Chard and Aztec Broccoli….
Part 2 of How to Dry Vegetable Seeds (heh)
I thought I had better actually try this so here goes:
1. Tights ? Do I have such a thing? I am an ankle sock sort of woman these days. I threw open many drawers and eventually found some elderly black stockings, probably my last attempt at being ladylike, circa 1985. Did I mention I hate tights? (pantyhose for my American friends).
2. Snip snip….
3. De shell beans. Inspect beans, throw away little wizened sad ones.
4. Find rice and tray, now what temperature? I think I’d better just guess on this one. Presumably something where it won’t burn… doing well so far, the first lot was not quite enough so I am baking up a bit more.
5. Rubber band? the ones I pick up from where the postperson kindly strews them in his wake outside the front door are all too big and long so I have used the small klippits which are nearly always too small to be useful. That is quite pleasing.
6. The one bit I can manage is an airtight jar! Oh Yes! Result!
7. Attempt to photo for your delight. Camera not keen on photographing black lumps of stuff.
8. Now just waiting for the rice to cool before flinging black stocking feet into jar for the fortnight of dessication.
9. I suppose I could have used that stuff that photographers use to keep their camera kit dry but I would have had to have blagged it from Brian and I think it is expensive….. maybe that is too much information, maybe I should stop talking and take the dogs out… bye!